Thursday, August 4, 2011

Which Faith Is Thine?

Passive faith accepts the word as true
But never moves.
Active faith begins the work to do,
And thereby proves.

---------

Passive faith says, "I believe it! every word of God is true.
Well I know He hath not spoken what He cannot, will not, do.
He hath bidden me, 'Go forward!' but a closed-up way I see,
When the waters are divided, soon in Canaan's land I'll be.

Lo! I hear His voice commanding, 'Rise and walk: take up thy bed';
And, 'Stretch forth thy withered member!' which for so long has been dead.
When I am a little stronger, then, I know I'll surely stand:
When there comes a thrill of heating, I will use with ease My other hand.

Yes, I know that 'God is able' and full willing all to do
I believe that every promise, sometime, will to me come true."

------

Active faith says, "I believe it! and the promise now I take,
Knowing well, as I receive it, God, each promise, real will make.
So I step into the waters, finding there an open way;
Onward press, the land possessing; nothing can my progress stay.

Yea, I rise at His commanding, walk straightway, and joyfully:
This, my hand, so sadly shriveled, as I reach, restored shall be.
What beyond His faithful promise, would I wish or do I need?
Looking not for 'signs or wonders,' I'll no contradiction heed.

Well I know that 'God is able,' and full willing all to do
I believe that every promise, at this moment can come true."

---------

Passive faith but praises in the light, When sun doth shine.
Active faith will praise in darkest night-- Which faith is thine?
--Selected